These cupcakes have the highly under-rated combination of blueberry and coconut. They compliment each other incredibly well and are fluffy, fruity and perfectly sweet.
Makes: 12 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113g) soft unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for coating the blueberries)
Blueberry ripple whipped cream frosting:
1 cup cold whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup blueberries
1/4 cup coconut flakes/chips
To make the cupcakes:
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
2) In a medium bowl add the flour, desiccated coconut, baking powder and salt. Whisk this together until well combined.
3) In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer/whisk/wooden spoon until pale and fluffy for about 5 minutes.
4) Add the eggs, one at a time along with the vanilla extract. Mix this till combined.
5) Add a third of the flour mixture and roughly mix, then add in a third of the buttermilk and repeat till you have used all your flour and buttermilk. Make sure not to over-mix the batter and stop the moment you don't see any flour streaks.
6) In a small bowl coat the blueberries in the smaller amount of all-purpose flour. This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom.
7) Divide the batter into the cupcake liners using a spoon/ice-cream scoop. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
8) Bake for 20 minutes and check with a toothpick to see if your cupcakes are cooked. Insert the toothpick in the centre of the cupcake and remove it to see if your cupcakes are ready. If there are a few crumbs on the toothpick, the cupcakes are ready. If it's still runny then bake for another 5 minutes and check until they are cooked.
9) Let the cupcakes cool in the cupcake tray for about 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack and let them completely cool before frosting them.
To make the frosting:
1) Start by making the quick blueberry coulis by combining blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and microwaving it for 1-2 minutes until the blueberries are soft and juicy. Set it to the side to cool
2) Then beat cold whipping cream with an electric mixer/whisk until it is thick enough to hold its shape.
3) Then add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract mix it till combined.
4) Gently fold in the blueberry coulis but make sure you don't mix it up completely because you want the streaks of blueberry coulis.
1) Spread some frosting on the cupcakes using a butterknife and garnish with some more fresh blueberries and coconut flakes/chips.